This imposing building was designed by one of the least-known Veronese architects of the 18th century…
A silent witness to history
The building has been council property for several decades and, now renovated, houses the town’s library in its vast rooms.
Carrying on with our discovery through the places of artistic and cultural importance in Valeggio, we reach Via Antonio Murari, where we find Palazzo Guarienti, country residence of the marquises Guarienti of Verona.
This imposing building was designed by one of the least-known Veronese architects of the 18th century, Piero Ceroni (1737-1802), who worked in Valeggio between 1770 and 1775. It was designed in strict neoclassical style, more sober than elegant. Very little is known of his projects and even less is known about his life.
On the front of the building, a plaque commemorates the evening of 30th May 1796, during the invasion of Italy, when Napoleon Bonaparte risked being captured by the Austrians who had suddenly arrived in the village after he had taken lodgings there. Another plaque commemorates Don Giovanni Beltrame, a missionary, scholar and explorer, 100 years after his death.