At the end of the fourteenth century, the Giusti family moved from Tuscany to Verona to develop the wool dyeing industry, the first source of wealth of the city of Verona. In 1406 Provolo Giusti purchased an area adjacent to the ancient Via Postumia, the main east-west axis of the Po Valley. In this area, along the ancient city walls, the Giusti family for two centuries used the spaces of the present garden to boil the cauldrons in which wool was treated and to hang out to dry clothes.
During the sixteenth century, the original productive settlement was converted into a representative palace in the style of Sanmicheli and completed by a formal garden with boxwoods, cypresses, fountains and caves according to the style of the time. The main architect of the garden and the palace was Agostino Giusti (1548/1615), an educated man, passionate about music and painting, in contact with the Medici and the Habsburgs, and trustee of the Venetians.
The amalgamation of several small buildings used for the wool business gave rise to the current building, with two buildings separated by a long facade on the street and a large hall. The entrance hall has a porch with six arches open to the courtyard. Beyond the gate you can see the long avenue of cypresses that ends in the cave and the mask carved into the cliff. The Giusti Garden recalled many elements of the Medici gardens, which were the aesthetic reference point of the educated elites of the time.