Continuing from the Chiesa di San Pietro in Cattedra along Via Roma, we come to Piazza Carlo Alberto where we can admire the historic seat of the city council…
Continuing from the Chiesa di San Pietro in Cattedraalong Via Roma, we come toPiazza Carlo Alberto where we can admire the historic seat of the city council: Palazzo Municipale.
Its façade is characterised by a high entrance door, set between strong ashlar columns supporting the balcony onto which the door to the large council chamber opens. Above this, in perfect neoclassical style, the summit tympanum, which includes the clock surmounted by an elegant marble bell tower with weathervane, underlines the rigorous neoclassical forms of the structure.
During French occupation (1805-1815) the building underwent substantial changes. The ground floor was left to private owners and converted into homes and shops: the first coffee shop in the town was opened here.